How to use chlorophyll content meter in a smartphone?
Chlorophyll content meter is a useful tool for agronomists and crop scientists. However, many of them complain that this type of agriculture research equipment is extremely expensive. Hence, most of the agronomists cannot afford to buy it and use to understand the current state of plant’s health and development. In this article we’ll check how do the alternatives to handheld chlorophyll content meters work and where to get them.
Chlorophyll Content Meter as an Agriculture Tool
Chlorophyll meters could be used to monitor crop N status because leaf chlorophyll content is strongly related to crop N status.
How to use Chlorophyll Content Meter in a Smartphone?
There are not so many mobile applications to measure chlorophyll level. Petiole Pro is one of them. Particularly, you can find the Leaf Colour Chart as a part of Petiole Pro for advanced plant measurement.
Step-by-step instruction how to use Petiole Pro
- Download and launch Petiole Pro mobile application
- Go down to the main toolbox and then choose the Leaf Colour Chart.
- Check the brief information about how to measure chlorophyll content. Also, you can find the saved reports of previous sessions and custom formula fields.
- On the bottom of your screen you can see the button “Measure”. Press it and you’ll start a new session of chlorophyll measurement.
- In our case we are demonstrating how to measure chlorophyll content in grass. You need to focus your camera on the specific area of the grass and then press the green button “save”, which you can see at the button of the screen. Simultaneously, at the top in orange field you can see the index of greenness
- You can choose as many samples areas as you want but don’t forget to press the “save” button to record your chlorophyll content measurements.
- Finally, when you have finished your session, press the red button at the bottom of the screen. You can see the total amount of images saved during this session. Also, you are provided with an average index of all your measurements.
How to save chlorophyll content measurements and share them
Saving your estimations of chlorophyll content can improve your productivity. Sharing your reports or measurements with the team can be important for keeping everyone updated with the progress of plant growth. You need to follow a couple of simple steps to complete this task:
- If you scroll down your report, created with Chlorophyll Content Meter in Petiole Pro, you can see each of the chlorophyll measurements.
- Press on any of them and you will get a photo of the captured sample. You can export it in PDF.
- Also, you can save the whole report about your session as a PDF to share with your team.
- If you will scroll down in this session you can close it by pressing the button at the bottom of the screen.
- Then you will see the list of all sessions carried by Chlorophyll Content Meter and as you can find, our latest session is recorded here as well.
- Chlorophyll Content Meter also has a new feature – a custom formula. This is an innovation, available in Petiole Pro. It is a useful addition to the main measurements. For example, with custom formula you can get the amount of nitrogen you need to put to correct nitrogen deficiency in soil.
Important tips to use chlorophyll meter
Since all measurements in Petiole Pro are real time, you can expect a couple of seconds of waiting and delay before the image will be saved. However, this option depends also on the characteristics of your phone.
You can use Chlorophyll Content Meter in Petiole Pro from any convenient height. It will not have any impact on your measurements. By the way, the other instrument – Leaf Area Meter in Petiole Pro is sensitive regarding the height. Hence, if you will decide to use them one by one, please, don’t forget about this aspect.
Video how about chlorophyll estimation with mobile application
Finally, you can download Petiole Pro from Google Play using this link or simply search this mobile application there.